Your Guide to a Successful Spring Break
Spring break – arguably one of the best weeks of the year, right? Whether you are taking a vacation or staying home, this week is a highlight for many. As you begin this week’s activities, we’ve gathered some money hacks, ideas for things to do, and even some cools apps you can use on your adventures this week!
If you’re traveling...
Lucky you! We hope you enjoy your trip that you have planned for this week! And while you may not be worried about budgeting (because let’s be honest – who wants to think about money while on vacation?), we did come up with some simple ways you can save on your trip.
- Look for discounts – If you’re a college student, a senior citizen, or in the military, remember that there are hundreds of restaurants and retailers that offer discounts – even if they don’t advertise it. So, each time you buy something this week, ask if they offer any discounts for you. Be sure to have proof of ID in case they ask.
- Download these handy apps – There’s nothing like a good app to help make your trip easier. We found just a few that will surely come in handy for ya:
- RoadTrippers – If you’re road tripping it this week, this app is perfect for you! It’s a free app that helps you find interesting and off-the-beaten path places to check out as you go. It’s great for finding cool restaurants and one-of-a-kind spots that are sure to make your road trip even more memorable. Click here to download RoadTrippers.
- Wifi Finder – Not a money saving app, but we figured we'd still share it with you... You know that annoying thing when you’re on a trip but can’t connect to wifi? This app uses your location to find wifi connections near you. Click here to download Wifi Finder.
- LocalEats – You will not find any chain restaurants on this app! This app is designed to help you find local, authentic restaurants based on the area you are in. Restaurants are not allowed to pay to be included in this app – so the recommendations are 100% authentic and come directly from the LocalEats staff. Click here to download LocalEats.
- Consider eating in a few times this week: If you are staying at a place that has a kitchen, consider cooking a few meals to help you save! If you are with a group, it can be much more cost effective to pitch in for groceries and cook one big meal together. It saves you money and creates a fun spring break experience!
If you’re having a “staycation”…
Some of you may not be traveling for spring break this year, and that’s okay. However, there’s nothing wrong with taking a quick day trip or treating yourself to something special.
Whether you spend this week on a trip or spend it at home, remember to relax, unwind, and enjoy the simple things! We wish each of our members a wonderful spring break week!
- Take a day trip to Moody Gardens or Schlitterbahn – If you need a way to entertain your kids while they are off school, consider a quick trip to Galveston to visit Moody Gardens or Schlitterbahn. Education First members get special discounts on tickets – giving you even more reason to have a day of fun at these amusement parks! Access these discounts here.
- Treat yourself to something special – You may not be taking a vacation this week but you can still certainly treat yourself! If you’re a woman - book a massage, a manicure or pedicure, or take a small shopping spree! And for our men – take a quick trip to go fish or buy that special thing you’ve been saving up for. It’s important that you take some time to relax this week – even if it’s close to home!
- Have a family night – If you’re looking for creative things to do with the family during the week, this list has over 100 ideas! Check it out here.